Pages

Wednesday 23 May 2018

looking closer

Not long ago I shared a post about #lookclosely - a hashtag I am using often on instagram..
the post, you can read here - the Story of Looking Closely  where I share the benefits ofslowing down and noticing the small things...

But what I realised today is that even when we slow down we still miss things... but what was interesting is that I got to see on the photographs afterwards...

Usually I take a few photographs of every insect and flower etc - because usually movement and life means one or more are going to be blurred or just off camera...

But what I also like to do with my photos is zoom in on certain parts and look even closer...

So today I noticed when looking closer at the photographs of the hoverfly (which I did not know the name of until after I searched black and yellow insect and compared my photo with those on insect sites... as I could see that this was not a wasp, or a bee... in fact there are lots of insects... over 80 in the same family in the nordic countries alone... the things you learn...
.. so I noticed that, well it was either pooping or laying eggs - and as it did not look that egg like I decided to explore insect poop... and actually found a whole heap (hehehe) of information - that it is called frass - and very beneficial as fertiliser for instance...
When I took the photograph I was aware that the hoverfly was changing shape, mostly because I could see the shadow... but I thought it was the stinger... I was so wrong!!

Suddenly my walk around the lake has been a source of new knowledge... because I slowed down to look closely, then took more time to explore the details of the photos and then take the time to use the internet to find out information to help me understand...
Time.
Take the time to learn and explore.
under are the series of photos... and they are taken with my i-phone camera - so no fancy equipment.







No comments:

Post a Comment